Monday, January 17, 2011

I can blame it on the snow still .. . .right?

I am not going to lie.  I "cheated" last week.  Yes I went on a few runs, but did I go by my schedule?  Absolutely not.  Were my runs all quite miserable?  Sure thing.  I had all intentions of being good after our snow days, but the cold weather, busy end of the work week and my general laziness got the best of me.  All I can say is . . . whoops!  With our first "race" less than a week away (and I am completely pumped about the 80s theme!), I decided I was going to need a little extra motivation this week. 

Step 1: Admit my failures to Fenwick.  The best part about doing this year of running with a friend is that you have someone to lean on when you just want to give up for a bit.  Julia and I catch up at least briefly it seems every day, so this morning I told Julia I fell off the wagon and Julia quickly gave me some words of encouragement.  I immediately was ready to get back into the game.

Step 2: Turn to my daily meditations.  Yes, I have daily meditations.  As corny as it sounds, I am a firm believer in the benefits of positive thinking and affirmations.  Correspondingly, I sign myself up for a few too many feel good emails.  One such email suggested making a contract with yourself in writing because if you formalize your commitments you are more likely to see results.  Lawyers love writing contracts, right? On it.

Step 3: New music.  Seriously, nothing gets me more motivated for a long run then knowing that my ipod has a few new selections on it.  Today's purchases: the new Britney Spears, 6'7' by Lil Wayne, some Darius Rucker to mix it up and Hall & Oates because you really can't go wrong with Hall & Oates.

Final Step: today's actual run - I am going for 5 miles again - soundtracked by She's Gone.  And I might throw on a pair of leg warmers in anticipation for Saturday's inaugural run!

No comments:

Post a Comment