Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Diddy and the Dreaded Speed Repeat

In an attempt to change things up, I am trying a different training program this time around.  My good buddy Hal Higdon got me through Thunder Road in December, but as reliable as Hal as been over the past year, sometimes a girl just has to move on.  My new friend is a random program I picked up from a mazagine at some point in 2010 and it has hills, race paces, intervals and something called the Speed Repeat. 

Still somewhat a novice to this running thing, I thought nothing of the "speed repeat" when I calendared it for tonight.  Then I realized what it involved - jogging for 15 mins, running a mile as fast as possible, jogging for 2 miles, then repeating the fast mile, followed by another 15 minute jog.   Not exactly what I was expecting my first week back in the game. 

Like Julia, I need a good playlist to get me through any run; however, I also have a habit of listening to one song on repeat and generally, it is something I may not want to admit to liking.  For example, Nashville - it was an underappreciated Jo Jo and Timbaland song -  Lose Control.  And Chris Brown got me through the hills of Thunder Road with What I Do.  Yes- feel free to judge.

Tonight was no different - just as I tried to talk myself out of the second speedy mile, Diddy Dirty Money (at least I think that is what he is going by these days) came to the rescue with his latest. 

So thank you to Diddy (and his new female entourage) - I expect you will be featured in a number of runs to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment